When We Are Helpless, God Lifts Us
There's a striking
image in shepherding of a "cast sheep", a sheep that's flipped onto
its back and simply can't right itself again. It's not just uncomfortable; left
that way, it's life-threatening. And honestly, that picture captures something
true about us too. There are moments when we feel completely unable to recover,
whether from failure, from sin, or from hardship that's just too heavy to carry
alone. Even people with deep
faith go through seasons like this. Guilt piles up. Grief lingers longer than
expected. Fear can be paralyzing.
Paul offers something
unexpected in 2 Corinthians 12:9: God's power is made perfect in weakness. That
runs against everything we're taught to believe about strength. Our instinct is
to hide our weak spots, but God tends to work through them, not around them.
The very place where we feel most defeated can become the place where His
strength shows up most clearly.
That changes how
we're meant to respond to failure. Instead of pulling back in shame, we can
bring it honestly to God. He's not waiting to meet us with harshness, He meets
us with care, lifting us, restoring us, giving us what we need to stand again.
Living this out takes
humility. It means being honest that we can't always fix ourselves, and
choosing to lean on grace instead. That's not weakness—that's actually the path
to real strength.
Scripture:
2 Corinthians 12:9 - And He has said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness.' Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me.
Application:
Prayer:
Lord, I confess I try to handle too much on my own. Thank You that Your grace is enough for me. In my weakness, show Your strength. Lift me where I can't stand on my own, and remind me You're always near.
2 Corinthians 12:9 - And He has said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness.' Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me.
- Think of a recent failure or struggle.
- Instead of burying it, bring it honestly to God in prayer.
- Ask Him to show His strength in that specific place.
Lord, I confess I try to handle too much on my own. Thank You that Your grace is enough for me. In my weakness, show Your strength. Lift me where I can't stand on my own, and remind me You're always near.
Comments
Post a Comment